British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is a silly question.

I currently house yellow labs in the 30G tank (only yellow labs). There is little spot for babies to hide in the tank (even though I have caves).

My question is this:
1. If the holding female releases the fry in this tank, will the other yellow labs see them as food or will they leave the fry alone?
2. Can I mix older fry with younger fry?

I currently have a 10G with 2 holding females in them, but I am sure there will be more females holding in the future, so I was wondering if I can put the "future holding moms" in the same tank as the older fry, or if I should keep the different aged fry separate?

I've bred Kenyi before and I learned the hard way that I shouldn't mix the older fry with the younger ones.

Please share your experiences and advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
I didn't have good results in mixing yellow lab fry.

I had a holding female killed all other yellow lab fry right after she released her own fry.

I had older yellow lab fry killed/ate smaller broods.

I also had yellow lab fry born and grew up to one inch size in a community tank then got eaten.

HTH.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't have good results in mixing yellow lab fry.

I had a holding female killed all other yellow lab fry right after she released her own fry.

I had older yellow lab fry killed/ate smaller broods.

I also had yellow lab fry born and grew up to one inch size in a community tank then got eaten.

HTH.
Just as I thought...thanks for the information :)

I had the same experience with breeding Kenyi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.