British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So I just finished about a 50% water change and finally got to put my newly bought used fluval 3 plus internal filter from a member's friend. Ofcourse I cleaned it before putting it in my tank :)

Well anyways, after the water change, I've notice a male yellow following a female yellow lab and when they both stop, the male will somewhat shimmer?

Is that one of the signs of there about to start breeding? :)

Clint

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup..they r doing the dance of luv....common after a water change.
Oh ok. When I did water changes in the past, they weren't dancing or w/e
But I guess there ready now :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, that means he's ready, it doesnt necessarily mean she's ready tho but it should make her start makin eggs if shes not.
this is what it'l look like when they mate: YouTube - Yellow labs breeding (clean glass version)
Today When I got up, first thing I did was feed them flakes. Everyone came up to eat (including the yellow tail Acei's I got from you. Thanks :) ) but didn't find one female. I looked under the driftwood and saw her and her mouth was all swollen looking and not interested in eating. And every time she opens her mouth a little bit I can see yellow eggs :). To bad a didn't have a chance to record the actual breeding :(

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw, anyone know how many can fit in her mouth?
She's only around 2 1/2". Can't be that much am I right? Maybe about 5 or so?

Thanks, Clint.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
She is still small and the last time she bred for me, I only got 7 fry.

Over time she should be able to hold 30+

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is still small and the last time she bred for me, I only got 7 fry.

Over time she should be able to hold 30+
7? That's cool :)
Can't wait to see them hatch.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So this morning, I fed my fish and checked if the other female yellow lab is also holding. But no she wasn't. So when I got home from Rogers purchasing a 10 or 15 gal tank (forgot how big it is), I fed my fish again and noticed that the other female was not eating. At first I was worried but then she came up to me to show me that she was holding also :)

Yet again I missed out on recording them spawn :(

Clint.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Congratz..where are the pics? u know we looooove pics :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratz..where are the pics? u know we looooove pics :)
Thanks Claudia. I will try to get a picture of the females but it will be hard. They are always inside the pots so its gonna be hard to take a picture of. And the zoom in my camera is not that good so I don't think the eggs will be seeable. But I will for sure take pics of the fries when they are spat out and put in my 10-15 gal :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
So this morning, I fed my fish and checked if the other female yellow lab is also holding. But no she wasn't. So when I got home from Rogers purchasing a 10 or 15 gal tank (forgot how big it is), I fed my fish again and noticed that the other female was not eating. At first I was worried but then she came up to me to show me that she was holding also :)

Yet again I missed out on recording them spawn :(

Clint.
dont worry, they will keep spawning non-stop from now on. You will have lots of opportunities to record in the future.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dont worry, they will keep spawning non-stop from now on. You will have lots of opportunities to record in the future.
Hahaha hopefully I get a better camera soon to record/take pics of the fries to share with you guys :)

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I am with smiladon, they are gonna go crazy now u r gonna have so manny babies :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am with smiladon, they are gonna go crazy now u r gonna have so manny babies :)
Hopefully I can keep up with them lol. I wasn't even trying to breed them :D
I just wanted to do a 50% water change because I hadn't done a huge water change in a while hahaha. Thanks to Smiladon on selling me these labs :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts