British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get into zebra plecos. Ultimate goal is to breed them in my 33 gallon tank. For those that have kept these guys, what approach would you take?

Option 1:
Start with a group of 5 captive bred juvis (1-1.5 inch) grow them out to maturity to breed. 2 years to breed?

Option 2:
Buy a group of 5 W/C adults (2-2.5inch). Hope that they will breed faster?

Lastly, anyone have these available right now besides Dave J and Samantha for juvis? Anyone have adults available?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

I have sourced 2.25-3inch adults. Wild caughts from an importer in canada. Quarantined for 1 month. He has 10 available. Price of course is a little more than 1.5 inch juvis.

Any experts willing to chime in which route they'd go with!?

·
Registered
754 Posts
From that picture? Too hard to tell. Try asking on PlanetCatfish for sexing, that's your best bet. What's your primary goal, keeping for pleasure or as an investment?

·
Registered
277 Posts
aren't wild caught Zebras illegal? i thought they were banned.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Planet catfish ok I can try that.

Investment and a pleasure. I've always wanted to breed Zebra plecos.

I had no idea WC were illegal to export right now. Don't follow the pleco scene too closely. Is this so?

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
277 Posts
really? illegal wild caught vs captive bred...doesn't seem like a tough one to me...

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Personally, I would get captive breds and maybe add a couple wild caughts (unless it definitely is illegal) just for genetic diversity. Maybe even buy the captive breds from multiple sources to maximize genetic diversity. Not a big fan of breeding brothers & sisters together, if it can be helped.

Anthony

·
Registered
519 Posts
Personally, I would get captive breds and maybe add a couple wild caughts (unless it definitely is illegal) just for genetic diversity. Maybe even buy the captive breds from multiple sources to maximize genetic diversity. Not a big fan of breeding brothers & sisters together, if it can be helped.

Anthony
ditto, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
754 Posts
They are illegal to export from Brazil, where they originate from. It is not illegal to own wild caughts. The specifics of how they end up outside Brazil is a separate issue. The longevity of the species in their natal river with recent developments is also a separate issue.

If it were me, I'd buy groups of juvies from at least 2 different breeders and grow them out. Then the males from one group and females from the other get placed together after they have had a couple years to grow. You get 2 potential breeding groups and avoid in-breeding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts