British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i came across today a group of zebra plecos 2 male 3 female around 2 inches . the group is 1500bucks but i have a chance at breading them would this be a good idea or should i keep my pennies

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
around 2", i doubt you can id the sex of L46. They are not hard to raise. In fact, they are very hardy fish.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask me here or pm.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol just what the guy said but 5 hoping to get atleast one or 2 females. so for set up was gonna do 40g tank with caves and drift wood heard u feed them blood worms ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Charles is the pro on this but keep away from feeding protein (blood worms) unless it's a carnivore plec. And especially if it's young. There's lots of veggies in Alberta. Research your diet for these guys first.

I would guess that next to screwed up PH the best way to kill young plec is to overfeed and feed the wrong diet.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was reading about them there a carnivore i see and if i feed the young blood worms gotta chop them up see alot of young have died with blood worms pretuding out of there mouths

·
Registered
197 Posts
Try breeding some bristlenoses (maybe some of the fancier ones). Then, once you have a good handle on the whole process, move on to the more expensive ones.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Zebras are very hardy like Charles said, but for sure at 2" they are not near large enough to spawn, let alone sex easily. You could prob. vent them with a magnifying glass, which wouldn't be fun nor easy either.

If you want some pretty plecos but still carnivors stick with some other hypancistrus species, L333, L260, L411, L201, L129, L340 etc. Most of these fish you cannot get wild caught anymore as they are not allowed out of Brazil, and if they are they are very pricey indeed. Many people are spawning them though and Charles gets in some nice hypans from Columbia for a great price (L340 & L129).

Or go the other route and get some ancistrus (Bristle nose), there's tons of different one and they are much cheaper as well. Spawn super easy, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts